What is Citywide Poets?
Citywide Poets is InsideOut’s award-winning afterschool program, providing teens with a literary community to collaboratively explore their lives through the written and spoken word. By participating in intensive artistic mentorship, publication, and performance opportunities, Citywide Poets cultivates a youth-driven narrative for the future of Detroit, rooted in their creativity and artistry.
- WEEKLY SESSIONS
- Professional Writers lead weekly writing workshops where teens have the opportunity to create new pieces, improve their writing, discover published and performing writers, and bond with peers.
- VISITING WRITER SERIES
- Students meet and work with visiting artists who have extensive publishing and/or performance experience at monthly workshops and open mics.
- All active Citywide Poets are invited to be published in our annual program-wide student poetry anthology.
- YOUTH ADVISORY BOARD
- Interested students can develop leadership and professional skills by presenting youth-led programming and influencing the design of InsideOut’s programs
- PERFORMANCE TROUPE
- Students can participate in an annual competition to join our Performance Troupe, which provides additional weekly artistic mentorship and public performance opportunities.
- ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP
- High school seniors who participate in Citywide Poets are eligible to apply for the CWP Scholarship, which covers college tuition for up to $25,000 per year, for up to four years
Citywide Poets sites for the 2022/23 school year include:
Open Citywide Poets Site (free and open to all teens)
Public Site with La Shaun phoenix Moore via Zoom, Wednesdays from 4-6 PM
Durfee Innovation Society (2470 Collingwood St., Detroit), Tuesdays from 3:30-5:30 PM
School-Based Citywide Poets Sites (free and open to any student who attends the school listed)
Cass Technical High School
Denby High School
Detroit Enterprise Academy
Detroit Edison Public School Academy
Detroit School of the Arts
Fordson High School
Jalen Rose Leadership Academy
Southeastern High School
The School at Marygrove
Thurston High School
Other schools to be listed as they launch
For more information contact Citywide Poets Coordinator Justin Rogers by email or call 313-577-4601.